There's Still Some Life In The Old Boy Yet
I can't tell who's responsible, but "Comin' Back For More" was on the playlist of the Dr. Demento show for the week of 20 June. Not that C.W. McCall is a frequent request on Dr. D., but you can a song to be played on the show. There's a web form at <http://www.clamhead.com/drdrequest.html>.
If you've never listened to Dr. Demento, you can find a list of radio stations at the rec.music.dementia web site. Unfortunately, not a lot of stations carry the Doctor, so you might not be able to find one in your area. But, if you've got the Real Audio player installed, you can listen to web feeds of the show. Those web feeds are also listed at rec.music.dementia.
However, that wasn't the only C.W.-related song on the show. The theme was "alternative lifestyles" (you know what I mean) and one of the featured songs was Rod Hart's "C.B. Savage" from 1976. This is a politically-incorrect song from the dark ages of comedy. In other words, it's funny. I've got a digital file of the song, and I'll be posting the lyrics later this week.
Remember that eBay auction of a month back, when a C.W. McCall 'Old Home' poster was up for grabs? Over to your right, you'll see the picture that was posted by the seller.
Well, I finally got down to the P.O. to pick up the poster, and it's now hanging on the wall of 'the office', between the posters for 'Dr. No' and 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. Now if you're staring intently at the picture (it's still to your right), you're probably wondering just what the heck it says besides "Bread City!". Well, until I get a better picture to post, here's what's there:
- Upper left: C.W.
- Upper right: Mavis saying "Bread City!"
- Middle of the sheet: "C.W.McCall & Mavis Old Home Fill 'er Up & Keep On A-Truckin' Café!
- Middle bottom: an eighteen-wheeler delivering Old Home Bread, and a rabbit running ahead of it saying "Hoppin' like a rabbit!". Below the truck: "Or, The Truckman Rides Again!".
- Middle right: a loaf of Old Home Bread. Below that, Mavis' name tag.
- Lower left: C.W. seated at the counter, a cat rubbing against his leg. Mavis takes his order, asking "What'll ya have, truck man?". C.W. replies "'Cuppa hot 'C'"
- Lower right: Interstate 80 road sign. Sitting on the sign is a bird, shouting "Look out! Here he comes -- again!"
- And the tiny print at the bottom left: "Copyright, Metz Baking Company, 1974".
Song A’ Th’ Week
Every summer, millions of people across the U S of A pack their cars with clothes, maps, and other essentials of the road, and travel across This Great Land Of Ours(R). They visit the small towns, the big towns, and the towns in between. And sometimes, the locals really don't want these visitors...
(C.W. McCall, Bill Fries, Chip Davis)
From the album Wilderness.