I hate moving. Until now, I didn't realize just how much junk I have. This is a three-day weekend, and I've spent the past two days packing up most of what I own, just so that a bunch of guys can put it on a truck and haul it six miles away. Argh.
It's been a quiet week here in Wonder Lake. Quiet, that is, if you dismiss the idiots on the next block over, the ones who seem to have stockpiled enough firecrackers to take them through next Independence Day. As a cousin of Apu's said, "Celebrate the independence of your country by blowing up a small part of it" and annoy your neighbors for the rest of the year. But I'm moving to a better neighborhood, ha ha! (Insert derisive chuckle here.)
I've been having brainstorms lately. (Ouch.) Next year is the 25th anniversary of "Convoy", and a celebration seems warranted. My thought: how about a convoy from L.A. to Jersey, beginning on the night of 6 June 2000? Just imagine a few dozen (hundred) cars loaded with rabid C.W. fans attempting to recreate the momentous events of the song. Maybe we could sell the movie rights. Hey, it worked for The Cannonball Run.
Surfin' With The Rubber Duck
Where in the world is C.W. McCall? [Hint: if the name isn't obvious, search the page for the word 'mccall'.]
- It's A CONVOY!!!!! This is some kind of weird aerobic exercise involving -- I think -- a bicycle and 85 trucks.
- Hey, Good Buddy, have you hugged a trucker today? Truck Driver Appreciation Week, 1996.
- RADIO RockDétente - Éphémérides... It's written in French, but the information is obvious: they know the date of C.W.'s birthday.
- HUDBA V POHODE - VYROCI And so do the Czechs.
- Chartbuster CD+G Pro Series See the contents of CB60022: it's karaoke McCall!
- Music Sojourn Broadcast Network - Classic Rock Guide Artist Roster Eh? C.W. McCall is classic rock? I never thought of him as a crossover artist. He's also listed on the Folk Guide Artist Roster. Folk?
- Radio Bart C.W. did get a reference on The Simpsons, with an excerpt from "Convoy" being sung during a parody of a "Mr. Microphone" commercial.
- Tempest Magazine Read the first story, "Mirages" by Brian Wilsnack.
- "Real men know all about their carburetors" by David Fong. "Sometimes when I drive around, I have to listen to C.W. McCall's classic hit "Convoy" over and over just to feel a little better about my manliness."
- Traffic-Building Strategies for Web Sites "...an unknown country musician named C.W. McCall..." Unknown? Unknown? And if you believe in coincidences, that same phrase can be found in the article "Is the Internet Doomed?"
- Re: Brain Cramp Wherein your esteemed author (moi) sets the record straight about C.W.
Song A’ Th’ Week
This week's selection isn't a C.W. McCall song, but it is a trucker song. It's also by "Weird Al" Yankovic, so don't complain that you haven't been warned.
("Weird Al" Yankovic)
From the album Running With Scissors.